Glow in the Dark Shark

Scientists have discovered that three kinds of sharks that live in the deep ocean glow in the dark. The kitefin shark (shown above in normal light, and glowing) is the world’s largest known glow-in-the-dark vertebrate. It can grow to nearly 6 feet (1.8 meters).
(Source: Mallefet, Stevens and Duchatelet [CC BY 4.0], Frontiers in Marine Science.)

Scientists have discovered that three kinds of sharks that live in the deep ocean glow in the dark. The kitefin shark (shown above in normal light, and glowing) is the world’s largest known glow-in-the-dark vertebrate. It can grow to nearly 6 feet (1.8 meters). (Source: Mallefet, Stevens and Duchatelet [CC BY 4.0], Frontiers in Marine Science.)

Yaquelyn Vanegas and Cencere Finley, Staff Writers

In January 2020, an international team of biologists led by Professor Jerome Mallefet of the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium, learned more about three bioluminescent (glow in the dark) sharks: the kitefin shark, the blackbelly lanternshark and southern lanternshark off the coast of New Zealand.  

Scientists do not know for sure, why theses sharks glow in the dark but have some ideas. One idea is, the Kitefin shark may use the glow to help find food on the sea floor.  

At six feet long, the kitefin shark is the largest known glow in the dark vertebrate in the world.